Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mayur Cusine of India

Mayur
2931 E. Coast Highway
http://www.mayurindianrestaurant.com/
Visited July 14, 2008 :: Charity, Lorianne and Steve.

I love Indian food and have always wanted to try this place out. I have no idea why in three years I haven't just done it. My obsession started in Chilliwack, British Columbia, Canada with a sweet Fijian sister whose family immigrated to Fiji from India [and then from Fiji to Canada where she met and married her Canadian husband]. She cooked the best Indian food for us and everytime she did, I swear I gained even more missionary weight. She taught us how to eat it like a local--with our hands. To this day, it is really difficult for me to eat curry with anything other than my fingers and warm Roti. Though, we used plates instead of banana leaves, it was quite a good time rolling rice, sauce, chicken and yogurt into bite-size balls and popping them into our mouths with our fingers. A little bit of messy heaven.

I think the staff at Bombay House in P-town loved watching me eat with my hands, but I'm not so sure their Orange County cousins would have appreciated it. Much to my shagrin, I did not touch the meat or sauce with my fingers, just the roti and na'an.


Ambience: 6.5
We were one of two parties enjoying Mayur on this occassion. Monday nights, clearly, are a great time to eat out with no wait in Corona del Mar. The lighting was a little bright for me and the seating a little too open. In my ideal Indian establishment, there are heavy tapestries and wall hangings, dim lighting and close seating. The price-point is a little high for the setting, in my humble opinion.

Food: 9.5
I am not joking around when I say this was really good Indian. I will also not lie when I say that I was initally disappointed by the portion sizes and when Lorianne said, "I am loving the portions," I secretly thought, "that is not going to be enough food for one such as me." I was wrong. It was plenty of food. I ordered one of my favorites, Chicken Tikka Masala. Lorianne enjoyed the Lamb Korma [which I have to add, came out topped with pure silver leaf as a garnish and is not only edible, but very good for you--silver is a natural anti-viral and aids in digestion]. I cannot remember what Steve ordered. However, the Garlic & Spinach Na'an and the Roti met my highest expectations. The Jasmine Rice, also prepared to perfection. Our meal was complimented by refreshing Mango Lasse. mmmm. I should also mention that Mayur is Zagat rated.

Service: 7
Considering we were one of two parties...I think we could've been paid a little more attention. The other party was a curtained room full of Cougars [not the rise & shout kind], and the staff was constantly running back and forth from their table. I felt a little left out. Had I not been privy to that observation, I would've thought the service adequate and appropriate. The best service of the night was when Steve picked up the check and refused to let the ladies contribute. Many thanks, Steve!

_____________________________________________________
Mayur, the Peacock, is the National bird of India. It stands for peace and prosperity... and arrogance :)

*disclaimer: photos taken with my camera phone and are not all that flattering.


No comments: